Re: Yelow signs on Long Common in Providence by roze1
July 31, 2017, 08:39:47 AM

Re: Yelow signs on Long Common in Providence by Ret08
July 29, 2017, 03:12:23 PM

Yelow signs on Long Common in Providence by lilitln
July 29, 2017, 01:12:42 PM

Re: I am here to help by mortgageguy
July 26, 2017, 01:11:26 PM

Author Topic: Yelow signs on Long Common in Providence  (Read 346 times)

lilitln

Yelow signs on Long Common in Providence
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
The yellow signs on Long Common which say "Drive like your kids live here" looks very tacky and looks like an eyesore! I live on Long Common as well and of course I want people to drive responsibly but this makes the neighborhood look bad!

We would love to have you on board! Registration is free and will allow you to reply to conversations at NewElgin.com.

Ret08

Re: Yelow signs on Long Common in Providence
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 03:12:23 PM »
I noticed the signs today.  They do look tacky.  They are distracting to the point that they could actually cause enough of a distraction to cause an accident...the kind they are trying to prevent.  Whenever I see this type of 'action', I always wonder how these same people drive though other people's neighborhoods.  When the cops get involved, they will usually tell you that most of the people they catch violating whatever law is causing residents to be concerned about, are from that same area.  Anyway, I'm all for slowing down when kids are around, but it's not likely these signs will have much affect.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:55:40 AM by Ret08 »

roze1

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:47 AM »
I honestly don't think that they are tacky.  I have seen the speeds that people drive down Longcommon.  It's crazy.  A child WILL get hurt if people don't slow down.

I think it shows that people in the neighborhood are concerned about their children.
~Providence Homeowner

Markanthony

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:10:29 PM »
Many people drive too fast down longcommon, with no regard for others. People often blast through the round abouts, YIELD MEANS SLOW DOWN AND LOOK!!! IF SOMEONE IS TURNING ON LONGCOMMON AND THEY ARE STOPPED FIRST, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO TURN!! COURTESY!!
Yes, the yellow signs are needed. If this dosent change behavior I wish the police to step up and ticket speeders.

Ret08

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:32:12 AM »
I don't think any one who is familiar with LC can debate that cars speed on it.  Hopefully, the signs will help.  But I think even if they do it will be short lived, and it's always going to be a long term problem.  We'll see.  When I first moved to Elgin I complained to one of the city engineers about the circles on LC, and not being able to see oncoming traffic when approaching, or while you're in, the circle.  He said he would pass on to keep the vegetation cut lower, but you can see how that worked out.  He also said that those circles didn't work out the way they intended.  I don't know what the intention was.  There are a number of streets in the Providence area that are particularly troublesome for one reason or another.

sgdg

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
IF SOMEONE IS TURNING ON LONGCOMMON AND THEY ARE STOPPED FIRST, THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO TURN!! COURTESY!!

While I agree people drive way too fast on Long common and the roundabouts are dangerous with people driving too fast and landscaping that blocks the view, the way the round about work is people in the roundabout have the right of way vs people going into the roundabout.  So person on the left has the right of way, if you are entering from long common or one of the feeder roads, you must stop till the round about is clear.  If that means you stop and wait for 10 cars, you stop and wait for 10 cars.  That is why the yield sign in on the main roads entering into the roundabout, you are to yield to on comping traffic.  It's a round about, not a 4 way stop

I also don't think the signs help, but have no problem with them being up. 

Hello! It appears you are not logged in and may be new to this forum. Please Register and log in.

We would love to have you on board! Registration is free and will allow you to reply to conversations at NewElgin.com.

Once you log in a Reply button will be visible at the start and end of each discussion. Click it to add your two cents!